Wednesday, June 29, 2022

June 2022

 Eight books in June. Publishing this post early as I won't finish the book I'm currently reading before Friday:

  • Stars and Bars, by William Boyd. Great book of his. Which one is next?
  • Harry Potter i kamen mudraca, by JK Rowling. Working on my Serbian/Croatian. Thankfully I know the story because my language isn't sufficient yet.
  • Cluny Brown, by Margery Sharp. Love me Margery Sharp. She was a master storyteller. I will continue to read her till I've read all of her.
  • Serbo-Croatian Grammar and Reader, by Oton Grozdić. Got this years ago at a used bookstore for a dollar or so. Great grammar review.
  • The Eiger Sanction, by Trevanian. Great book. 50/50 I'll read more of him.
  • Uncertain Glory, by Joan Sales. Another great book, but I'm done with the Spanish Civil War for a while.
  • Young Men in Spats, by PG Wodehouse. Great book by the Master. Blandings sightings. For the FB Wodehouse Book Club. Wonder what July's book will be?
  • The Vikings, by Else Roesdahl. Quick and easy history.
And my purchases:
  • The Vikings. Got this one and the next one at Salvation Army for, IIRC, two bucks each. 
  • Viking Age Iceland, by Jesse Byock. 
  • The Galaxy, and the Ground Within, by Becky Chambers. Bought this based on reading previously her The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, which was great. Two bucks, Kindle deal.
  • SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome, by Mary Beard. Bought this based on her Confronting the Classics.
  • The Circle of Reason, by Amitav Ghosh. Kindle deal. Looked intriguing. 
  • Winterkill, by Ragnar Jonasson. One of these days I'm going to read these books from the Dark Iceland series.
  • The Eiger Sanction. You pick it for the family book club, you should own it. But, actually, bought it for the wife. I read it with Audible.
  • It's Our Turn to Eat, by Michela Wrong. This one is for the book club at work.
  • Tales of Al: The Water Rescue Dog, by Lynne Cox. Yes, that Lynne Cox of ultra-swimming fame. Met her years ago and have stayed in touch. She's wonderful.
June was BCS heavy, and I think it is coming along. Not sure I'll be ready for an OPI this year, so I redirected the instructor to concentrate on listening and reading for the DLPT in November. In C&M, we had a mid-term (second mid-term, technically), wherein we translated a stele from 1870 bc, currently housed in the Louvre (Louvre 272). I did pretty well, considering my several-weeks auditing of the course in December-January while prepping for my Russian DLPT. Granted, the midterm covered areas we'd already studied in the C&M course, but still, the only help the moderator gave us were some names we hadn't learned yet. I dorked up while submitting my homework by missing some of the offerings; there they are in my notebook, but when I was transposing from my notebook to the email submission, I skipped them. I also missed some xrw 'justified' at the ends of some of the "his brother/sister/dad/mom" rows (top right in picture below). 



No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...