Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Recent Reads and Blood Friggin' Meridian

 The 48 Laws of Power, by Robert Greene. One of my wife's favorite books. If you get the call you've been waiting for, the one where the king requests your presence at court, be sure to read this first. Or Machiavelli. Same results. OK, that's harsh. But I'm not going to do 47 of the 48 Laws (maybe Law 28: Enter Action with Boldness). This book wasn't quite as bad as Aurelius's Meditations (longest Oscar speech ever). 

Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog, by Ted Kerasote. Book club choice. I'm not really into "pet" books. Closest I've read to this is Arthur: the dog who crossed the jungle to find a home, by Mikael Lindnord. This book was okay, but I knew there would be a sad ending. I didn't want to read it. Not recommended unless you like end-of-life of pets. 

Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy. Holy shit! Best book ever. I had all kinds of sections of it highlighted, but my library Kindle loan ended last night and I now can't get to any of them. Dammit. Spoilers: I really thought the judge was the devil. I thought the whole story was Biblical. I didn't know anything about this book but #BookTwitter was crazy about it so thought I'd read it. The writing: impeccable. Beautiful. Not sure if I like this or No Country for Old Men better. They are both so awesome. 

(Blogger is f^cking up, so no pictures uploaded.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Reads and Blood Friggin' Meridian

  The 48 Laws of Power , by Robert Greene. One of my wife's favorite books. If you get the call you've been waiting for, the one whe...