Tuesday, February 1, 2022

January 2022

 Had a good first month of 2022.

So here are the January reads:

  • Rogue Protocol, by Martha Wells. Yep, kept up Murderbot. 
  • Three Novels, by Nina Berberova. Can't remember who reviewed this (Neglected Books, maybe?) but it sounded great so bought it. Great cover, too. The three novels are really novellas. I think my favorite was The Resurrection of Mozart.
  • Slaughterhouse-5, by Kurt Vonnegut. Out-freaking-standing. Will watch the film, someday. But the clips I saw...boy oh boy, so '70s.
  • Exit Strategy, by M. Wells. Murderbot continued.
  • Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead, by Olga Tokarczuk. I started to get annoyed at it and then the ending. Really good book.
  • The Gallery, by John Horne Burns. Can't decide if I like this one or one of two others this month. This one is in my favorite genre of war novels. This one is unique and wonderful.
  • Campusland, by Scott Johnston. Great satire on our current state of universities. I unfortunately have experience, through two of my kids, with at least two of the situations that Johnston brings up in this book.
  • Ten Years in a Tub: A Decade Soaking in Great Books, by Nick Hornby. This one took me a while, but because I'd just read a few of his articles every few days.
  • Player Piano, by K. Vonnegut. Strange. His first novel (?). One of the best scenes which explains today.
  • Peter Pan, by J.M Barrie. Why did I wait this long to read this great book?
  • The Falcon and the Snowman, by Robert Lindsey. Crazy story. Surprised me when I realized near the end that the story was real!
Speaking of Murderbot, yes, I'm planning on reading more. But when I finished #4 I learned that there is a #4.5, a short story written by Wells. And I've had it on a library hold for weeks, but it just came in a few days ago. It's only 19 pages long, but you'll be damn sure I'm going to count it. ;)

Now, for the January buys:

  • The Children of Men, by PD James. Read this decades ago and loved it. Looking forward to reading it again.
  • Whiteout, by Ragnar Jonasson. 99 cents, can't pass it up. 
  • People of the Book, by Geraldrine Brooks. Haven't read a bad review of any Brooks book. Can't pass this one up.
  • Zodiac, by Neal Stephenson. Any chance I get to buy a Stephenson book for two bucks or less, I do it. Love his writing.
  • Slaughterhouse-5. So here's the deal. I chose this for our family book club. I read it from a library eBook loan. Then it expired. Then my wife wanted to read it, and it was on a weeks-long hold at the library. So I bought this in Kindle version. This is the only book in January I bought at full price ($8).
  • God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, by Vonnegut. This is the next recommended Vonnegut book after Player Piano.
  • PG Wodehouse Collection v.2: The Blandings Collection. One Audible credit for all the Blandings books read by Stephen Fry?! Hell yeah, sign me up!
  • Gulag: A History, by Anne Applebaum. THE history of the Soviet's gulag system. 
Not bad, considering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...