Wednesday, January 12, 2022

The Gallery, by John Horne Burns

 The Gallery was a great war book! I've read little to nothing about the Italian front during WWII, and this book highlights Naples mostly, and oh what a great book. 

The book is formed by promenades (first person POV) and portraits (third person POV). Each portrait was a different person, and not just Americans. Very clever and unique. And it was published in 1947!

And speaking of unique, this had an entire portrait about the gay scene in WWII Napoli. Yes, gay American, Italian, Brit queans (yes, spelled that way). And Momma, running the bar, couldn't care less that those boys were calling themselves by women's names or were hugging and kissing each other. In 1947!

I'm so glad I got this book. And I got it used for $7.50. Well worth every penny. 100% recommend. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

So many books...

 ...and even a language! Good Lord I've read so much since last posting! Will post in less than a week my "March 2024" post so...