Thursday, December 23, 2021

Fat City

 Fat City, by Leonard Gardner, a boxing book. Apparently The boxing book of all boxing books. I know nothing about boxing, and you don't have to know anything to enjoy this book. 

Spoilers follow:

Boxing doesn't care what your race is, the important thing being your reach, your dedication to training, your current sitch with regards to women. But the boxing public does care, some fans wanting to watch "a white boy" fight. The main character of Fat City is such a white boy, divorced, alcoholic, in love with a woman whom he loses to a black guy out of prison, and trained by a Hispanic. Race is peppered through the book, but doesn't get in the way, if you understand what I mean. (It was written in the late '60s after all.)

I was particularly moved by chapter 10, when one of Ruben's (the trainer) young, athletic new boxers (Ernie) is knocked out and won't respond to efforts to wake. The knockout was incredible, and concussive in the writing.

When he reached out with both gloves to block a left, Ruben's hand went into his sweater pocket for the ammonia vial and a right swing landed with an awesome slam on the lean point of Ernie's chin. He went down sideways along the ropes, toppling stiffly in the roar, and hit the canvas on his back, his head striking the floor, followed by his feet. His eyes stared momentarily, then closed as his body went rigid (64).

I was tense reading that chapter, and I hoped for Ernie's success for the rest of the book. 

Spoilers end.

I was happy I picked this short contemporary classic; I enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised to see there is a movie, directed by John Huston, so I might watch that after the holidays. 

Fat City is book #75 for 2021. I'll try another one of these short ones before the year ends. But which one?


No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...