Monday, December 4, 2023

The Unlimited Dream Company, by JG Ballard

This book, along with American Psycho, are finalists for The Most Disturbing book read this year. 

The Unlimited Dream Company, by JG Ballard. 

What.

The.

Fuck.

What did I read. Ejaculate all over the place. Sperm stains. My God, I had had enough of gross with the previous book. Now I have it in this book too?

So, a guy dies after stealing a Cessna and plowing it into a river. And we get to live through his purgatory. Very trippy. Hell, I figured it was written in the '60s. Imagine my surprise at the end to learn it was published in 1979. (Granted, he could have been tripping on LSD for 10 or so years writing it.)

I'm love-hate with Ballard. His Empire of the Sun is so good it hurts. Same with his The Drowned World. I love them both. Tried Kingdom Come, dumped it. Crash, dumped. Short stories, however, except for a couple truly trippy ones, were great ("Memories of the Space Age"). 

This book though. Ugh. Yuck.



No comments:

Post a Comment

April 2024

 Another month flew by. I'm kinda peopled-out. Books read: The Doctor is Sick , by Anthony Burgess. One of his best. What a screwed up d...