Friday, June 2, 2023

May 2023

 Books read this month. Damn, read more than I thought this month:

Books bought in May:
  • Amaro: The Spirited World of Bittersweet, Herbal Liqueurs, with Cocktails, Recipes, and Formulas, by Brad Thomas Parsons (author of Bitters). Holy crap. After my first bottle of Amaro Montenegro, I couldn't help myself. I'm now on to Amaro Nonino. (Yum!)
  • Freelance Editor's Handbook, by suzy bills. Yes, she used all lower-case.
  • Election, by Tom Perrotta. 
  • The War Against Cliche, by Martin Amis. RIP, Mr. Amis.
  • The Pumpkin Eater, by Penelope Mortimer. Read about this book so many years ago on one of my book blogs. Thought it would be great. When this appeared in Kindle deals, I had to get it.
  • The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, by Heinlein. 
  • Return from the Stars, by Stanislaw Lem. Lem is classic, and for two bucks...
  • Breasts and Eggs, by Mieko Kawakami. This was recommended years ago and for two bucks and to count for one of my translation books for the year? No question. Had to buy it.
  • Language and Silence, by George Steiner. The man about translation. 
  • Pattern Recognition, by William Gibson. It's been a few reads since I read a Gibson, and this is #1 in the Blue Ant books, so must read it (soon).
  • The Scar, by China Mieville. A continuation, IIRC, of Perdido Station. 

2 comments:

  1. Were you a copyeditor? You seem to read editing books. I was a copyeditor for many years, LoL. You had a good May reading. I still need to read Sea of Tranquility. Is it too crazy with various time lines etc? I have read a couple of her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet. Doing the UCSD certificate right now. Sea of Tranquility was not too crazy and easy to follow. I've only read her Station Eleven, but intend on reading The Glass Hotel during this summer.

      Delete

April 2024

 Another month flew by. I'm kinda peopled-out. Books read: The Doctor is Sick , by Anthony Burgess. One of his best. What a screwed up d...