Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Recent reads

Some recent reads:

The Black Dahlia, by James Ellroy. What a great book. Never saw the movie, but will soon. The characters were superb, the afterword even better (had no idea the author's mom...oh my). Even more shocking, had no idea The Black Dahlia was based on an actual case! 

Chronicle of the Narvaez Expedition, by Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca. Found this at Savers for $2.99, but then got 30% off! Great, short travelogue. Great little book, will donate it to the Goodwill. 

Election, by Tom Perrotta. Read this back in 2014 or 2015, on a short bus (marshrutka, or маршрутка) from Bishkek to Kara-kol on the east side of lake Issyk Kul. Picked this for our family book club. I'd really like to rewatch the movie. Matthew Broderwick and Reese Witherspoon were superb in it. He's written more, but I haven't gotten into any of his others (yet?). 

Currently I'm reading The Woman in the Dunes, by Kobo Abe. I've also started The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, by Heinlein on Audible. My SIL picked it for the family book club, which is funny because my wife just finished reading it a week ago! (Not a fan.) I'm also continuing my translation of the masterful novel Mi Stelojn Jungis al Revado, by Mikaelo Bronŝtejn.



2 comments:

  1. Election is a fun read. You might like another of his called The Wishbones -- also a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll look for it. I tried another of his years ago, can't remember the name, but couldn't get into it so stopped.

      Delete

April 2024

 Another month flew by. I'm kinda peopled-out. Books read: The Doctor is Sick , by Anthony Burgess. One of his best. What a screwed up d...