Friday, September 30, 2022

September 2022

 September, complete tonight. Here's the book count.

Books read:

  • The Changeling, by Victor LaValle. Easily one of the best this year.
  • How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphics, by Collier & Manley. For my class I started back in November. Excellent book for those who want the basics.
  • Putin's Playbook, by Rebekah Koffler. If you want to know what Putin's thinking, read this. It'll sound outrageous, but history has proven Ms. Koffler right.
  • Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut. His weirdest? How to measure that. Each one of his I read is weirder. 
  • The Mating Season, by PG Wodehouse. Great Jeeves & Wooster novel. Loved this.
  • Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe. A must read. 
Books bought:
  • Cocktails on Tap. Been experimenting with cocktails here at Chez Eels. Wife has loved it, as have I, although I'm still leaning preferably toward beer.
  • The History of the Siege of Lisbon, by Saramago. The two of his I read were so good, I pretty much just buy his whenever I see them on sale. Two bucks.
  • The Old Fashioned. See above in re: cocktails. Two bucks.
  • All These Worlds are Yours, by Jon Willis. Book about search for extraterrestrial life. Sounded interesting. Two bucks.
  • Esperanto and Languages of Internationalism of Revolutionary Russia, by Brigid O'Keeffe. She wrote the intro to a great book in Esperanto about WWI: Antau Unu Jarcento (One Century Ago). I pre-ordered this one months ago. So looking forward to reading this one. Not two bucks.
  • Project Hail Mary, by Weir. Two bucks.
  • The Multiethnic Soviet Union and its Demise, by O'Keeffe. Again, in my wheelhouse. Definitely not two bucks.
  • Fall of a Cosmonaut, by Kaminsky. #13 in the Inspector Porfiry Rostnikov mysteries. I've only read #1, but when these come up, I buy them. Two bucks.
  • February House, by Tippins. Story about a bunch of great writers and poets under one roof in Brooklyn. Two bucks.
  • Rostnikov's Vacation (#7), Blood and Rubles (#10), Hard Currency (#9), Tarnished Icons (#11), by Kaminsky. See above. Each two bucks. 
  • House of Suns, by Alastair Reynolds. I'll always buy a Reynolds. $3.
  • The Changeling, by Victor LaValle. My pick for family book club. Fifteen bucks and worth every penny. 
  • The Writer's Map: An Atlas of Imaginary Lands, by Lewis-Jones. Maps to fictional places you wished you could visit. 
  • The Alexandrian War, by Caesar. I've read his other two Loeb Library "war" books, now it's time to read his last one.
  • The Old Fashioned, by Simonson. Can you tell what our new favorite drink is?
Doing an additional chapter in Middle Egyptian, which'll be done by the end of October. And the Serbian/Croatian course. That's still going twice a week. Here's hoping for a 2/2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...