Thursday, September 29, 2022

Finished some books

 I'm a little behind on the book reviews, and for my dear reader(s) who follow this blog: this ain't in-depth reviews. Anyway, I've read the following since my last "review" post (for The Changeling).

How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs, by Collier & Manley. Finally finished the book for the moderated "class" I've been taking. Started back in November (October?) and learned a lot about tomb offering formulas. Started a translation (moderated) course too, but am woefully lacking in knowledge of other grammar points in Middle Egyptian. Thankfully, the moderator for the C&M class has created a chapter 9, which we're working through now and through October. Someday in the future I'll take Glyphstudy's Hoch or Allen course (22-ish months long). 

Putin's Playbook, by Rebekah Koffler. Preaching to the choir, of course. I already know Putin is a bastard, but Ms. Koffler has much more background than I. Was a nice "read" (Audible). 

Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut. Continuing my reading of this master. This author is so cray-cray. A made-up religion, made-up Carribean island, particle that could destroy the Earth...what else does a reader need? Looking forward to the next Vonnegut in the list (Galapagos).

The Mating Season, by PG Wodehouse. This was the September read. This is a Jeeves & Wooster novel I'd never heard of before, but parts of it were in an episode of the A&E series. 

Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe. I'd read this maybe 15 years ago. Still the same. Was my wife's choice for the family book club. Remembered it towards the end. Sad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So many books...

 ...and even a language! Good Lord I've read so much since last posting! Will post in less than a week my "March 2024" post so...