Monday, May 9, 2022

The Clicking of Cuthbert, by PG Wodehouse

 Wasn't sure what I'd think of a golf story. I mean, I've learned a lot about quidditch, I mean, cricket, from Wodehouse stories. But golf? Golf is a boring game. Yes, I know there are techniques one must master in order to be good at the game, but still, boring. Baseball possibly more boring. Don't care.

But these stories are funny. Mostly due to the situations these golfers get into, and mostly due to women. Golfers attracted to women-golfers, or supposed golfers. Or women finally finding the man she loves, reminiscent of the romances she reads, on the links. 

This book really is a series of short stories, the common thread being "the oldest member" of a particular golf club. Not my favorite Wodehouse, especially after reading Laughing Gas. But still...

The names of the clubs. I had to research some etymology. Wodehouse uses "niblick" quite often. I guess you golfers know this, but for us non-golfers, a "niblick" is a "small, narrow-headed iron golf club," and has been in use in English since the mid-1800s. There was also, IIRC, a "mashy niblick," but of course now I can't find a website about it. What we really need is a website of all the golf terms found in Wodehouse. 

I only read this due to the FB Wodehouse Book of the Month club. Otherwise I would not have chosen this book. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...