Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Ray Bradbury

 I never would have read this, but my wife speaks so highly of it, so thought I'd give it a try. 

Holy crap! This is literature. Don't think of Bradbury as "just" a sci-fi author. This man could write. The descriptions, especially of the carnival, are so well done that I would put this guy, or at least this work, up there with Master and Margarita

There were some scary moments, and I can see that when this was written (early '60s), this would have been read by young kids (13-16) who would have understood all these "big words" that the same generation today won't understand. Absolutely lovely. 

I was one of those of my generation (I'm in my mid-50s) who (probably) only read Bradbury's short story "The Veldt" (or something like that). I recall that story being good, but I was in my teens, so who the hell knows (don't ask me what I think about Stranger in a Strange Land nowadays, or God forbid, Ringworld). 

This. Book. Rocks. Read it. You'll love it. 

In other news, wife and I will probably watch the movie this weekend. I know nothing of it, so this'll be fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...