Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Translating

 I'm still translating Medalionoj for my writing group. I translated the first chapter, "Professor Spanner," last month and my colleagues enjoyed it. Well, enjoy is probably not the best verb when talking about Nazis making soap from human bodies. Now I'm translating a chapter called "The Hole." Imagine concentration camps and mothers waiting for their sons to return after WWII. Not the happiest of stories.

For those new-to-the-blog dear reader(s), Medalionoj is the Esperanto translation of the Polish-original novel by Nalkowska, fictionalizing actual Nazi atrocities. I don't know Polish, so I have only the Esperanto to translate. But I chose this book purposefully because I read the Esperanto version a few months ago, but also I found the actual English translation so I can "check my work" once done. My first chapter was quite close to the English version. I was happy with my translation!


I've been searching for and following (the few) blogs from translators. One such translator (Corinne, merci!) hosts the site Training for Translators. Experienced translators hold trainings for those of us out there who want to find out more about this career. I'm particularly interested in the upcoming Translating Official Documents. There was also one earlier this month that, if available to view after the class, I will pay for: Editing and Proofreading for into-English Translators. I've reached out to the site owner to ask if one can buy a course after the fact. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...