Saturday, May 30, 2020

Well, that was something

I started the L2-R2 in Croatian Harry Potter today. Talk about confused!

The audio starts with chapter 0. It's only a minute long, and even at my pathetic proficiency I understood that it was simply introducing the book, with the title, author, translator, speaker. Then chapter 1!

But the audio chapter 1 didn't jive with my physical book. Not even close. I searched around for where the speaker was in the first chapter, to no avail. I went on to chapter 2 and started the audio chapter 2. That wasn't it either. I understood some bit of it ("it was sunny" or something like that). I searched around for where I was and found the spot...several pages into chapter 2. What the heck?

I went back to chapter 1 and went ahead 6 or 7 minutes. I heard the part where Mr. Dursley is asking his wife Petunia if her sister's son's name is Howard. "No, Harry." I found that part in the physical book. Then went back by minutes till I got to the beginning of chapter 1. Yes, chapter 1 started 1 minute and 39 seconds into audio chapter 1. What?

I started audio chapter 1 all over again. Turns out, as far as I could tell, chapter 1 starts with a synopsis of the entire book.* Or, at least up to and including the part where Harry gets the letter inviting him to Hogwarts. I understood that much. 

I listened on till 31:00, when chapter 2 in the physical book starts. But the audio chapter 1 still has 11 minutes left. How strange!

Once I got it going, it was easy to follow along. I even understood some of it, mostly because I just read the book in English. Of course, that is the purpose of L-R. After I'm done with listening and reading in Croatian, I start all over but read the book in English while listening in Croatian. 

The audio total is a little less than 9 hours. I'll be listening at least 18 hours with the L2-R2 then L2-R1. I really should go through the audio four times so that'll be about 35 hours. Really looking forward to taking the ODA again after. Will my proficiency go up? 

*See my comment below!

1 comment:

  1. Here I am hours later, and I'm finally updating my Goodreads with Harry Potter i kamen mudraca, and the description of the book on GR is exactly what the speaker on the audiobook was saying during the first 1:38 of chapter 1:

    Roditelji Harryja Pottera stradali su dok je još bio jednogodišnja beba. Deset je dugih i neveselih ljeta Harry proveo kao neželjen gost pod krovom Dursleyjevih, pod grdnjom navijek ljute tete Petunije, pod podozrivim pogledom neugodnog tetka Vernona i pod pakosnim udarcima bratića Dudleyja.
    A onda, netom pred njegov jedanaesti rođendan, počela su stizati pisma! Tajanstvena pisma naslovljena na gospodina Harryja Pottera, opasna pisma koja mu tetak Vernon nikako nije želio pokazati, čarobna pisma ispisana smaragdnozelenom tintom, iz kojih bi Harry mogao saznati istinu!
    A istina je da Harryjevi roditelji nisu poginuli u prometnoj nesreći, i istina je da Harry Potter nije sasvim običan dječak, i istina je da na jesen ipak neće morati krenuti u peti razred obližnje škole.
    Harry Potter je naime izravno i pismeno pozvan u Hogwarts, najpoznatiju školu vještičarenja i čarobnjaštva, jer Harry Potter je zapravo prirodno nadaren čarobnjak, kao što su bili i njegovi roditelji. Harry Potter je čak i više od toga: u svijetu čarobnjaka Harry Potter je legenda, samo što on o tome još uopće nema pojma.

    ReplyDelete

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...