Friday, May 29, 2020

Online Diagnostic for Serbian/Croatian Complete!

As I finished Harry Potter 1 today (in English), I went ahead and completed the Online Diagnostic Assessment (ODA) at DLI-FLC for Serbian/Croatian. As I figured, my proficiency has really taken a hit over the last two decades. To be expected of course. But damn.

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but to review: In late 2018 I took the DLPT5 in Serbian/Croatian, after a few weeks of review. I obviously didn't push hard enough because I ended up with a 0+ in reading. Didn't even take the listening! 

My best DLPT (a DLPT IV) in this language was in 1999 when I earned a 3 in listening and 2+ in reading. I kept taking the test and getting in the 2-2+ range for a few years after that, but I think my last ever was in the 2003-2004 range. 

That's a long time ago. Especially since this language I 'learned' in a short time. I went to Turbo-Serbo in 1997. Why is it called that? Well, the official DLI name for the course was Serbian/Croatian Conversion Course. You had to have a minimum of 2/2 in Russian or Czech to attend. The entire course lasted 16 weeks, that's it. I went to Turbo-Serbo with 2/2 in Russian and finished Turbo with a 2+/2+ on the DLPT and a 2 on the OPI! Not too bad for 16 weeks.

But what you learn quickly you lose quickly. I've gone actual years without using Russian, and then after reviewing the language for a month or so come back with at least a 2/2. That's because I learned Russian at the Russian Basic Course, 47 weeks long. And that was in 1986/7. So I've been doing the language a while. It 'stuck' more than Serbian/Croatian has. 

Now on to my L-R plan with Croatian. My ODA results, btw, are: less than 1 for listening and a solid 1 for reading. I'm still going to set my post L-R goal at 1+ for both listening and reading. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...