Monday, October 23, 2023

More recent reads

 The Zone of Interest, by Martin Amis. I need to read more of this Amis. I've read, now, I think 3 or 4, and 5 or 6 of his dad's. All good. This one was particularly good, and in one of my favorite themes: WWII and the Holocaust. This one based on three characters surrounding a particular extermination camp. Terrible. How close to the truth?


Time for a Tiger, by Anthony Burgess. A recent post in the Evelyn Waugh Society led me to the International Anthony Burgess Foundation, from which I learned about this book, part of his Malayan Trilogy. Found a great hb version of all three and read the first one. Right up my alley: British officer (police this time) overseas dealing with the locals, his leadership, drinking, women, other Brits, etc. Simply awesome and some great vocabulary. Burgess was an artist. I look forward to reading more of him. 



In Search of Schrödinger's Cat, by John Gribbin. I had read this decades ago and loved it. Decided to reread it since I'm writing again. Great ideas for my book (the Copenhagen Interpretation, for one). This Audible version includes updates in the back. 


Finally, more Revelation Space. I read Diamond Dogs, which was great, then when I finished that, the next story chronologically was "Monkey Suit," another great short story by the master, Alastair Reynolds. The next, if I can find it (in Belladonna Nights), is "Plague Music" (most likely about the Melding Plague, adrift in the Glitter Band, oy!).



No comments:

Post a Comment

April 2024

 Another month flew by. I'm kinda peopled-out. Books read: The Doctor is Sick , by Anthony Burgess. One of his best. What a screwed up d...