Sunday, October 29, 2023

The Cuckoo's Calling, by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling)

 My SIL picked this book for our family book club. Wasn't sure what to expect, but it was great!

Spoilers (and they'll really spoil it, so turn back now!):

Cormoran Strike (5 pts to Ms. Rowling for character name choices in this book) is a private dick, recently out of the British Army missing part of a leg. He's also just dumped his lying-ass girlfriend and met his newest secretarial temp by grabbing her left breast. Hard. 

All of this as intro to this character. (No fears my lovely wife, it's in 3rd person.) Robin, his accidentally molested temp, turns out to be the best thing to happen to him (no, no love story there, thank goodness), work-wise. She's bright and helps him immeasurably throughout this story.

The story? So, model-of-the-moment Lula commits suicide, or so it seems. Her brother, John, doesn't believe it, so hires Strike to investigate. I'll get the spoiler out right away and if you're reading this and don't realize I'm about to tell you who the killer is, turn away now: It's John. But he's a psychopath. So figures.

Some very convincing scenes of the lifestyles of those with f^ck-you money, like the author, so it was a bit of fun to get a glimpse. Prissy designer, drugged-up models, family law firm-multimillionaires. Plenty of possible suspects, but Strike takes it all logically, contemplatively. I really did like this character. (Which means I may read more as she's written seven of these dang novels!) 

Who I really liked was Robin. Quite smart, initially smitten with her very new engagement ring, then slowly realizing her fiancé might be a weenie. Will we see a Strike-Ellacott engagement announcement in a future book? I hope to God not; I like them both better as an investigating pair. 

Spoilers complete.

I liked it. Kinda long for our bookclub (I think our limit was 400pp and this one was 550pp) but it really pulled me in; pretty much all I did this weekend was finish it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

April 2024

 Another month flew by. I'm kinda peopled-out. Books read: The Doctor is Sick , by Anthony Burgess. One of his best. What a screwed up d...