Monday, August 28, 2023

Fourth Wing and A Cold Red Sunrise

 So Fourth Wing was our family book club choice. I'm not the readership for Rebecca Yarros. I'm about 40 years too old and the wrong sex. The sex scenes (Oh, spoiler alert) run on and on and on. So bad I had to click +15 sec over and over again. Like the John Galt speech of sex scenes. And if I hear about the main male character being hot one more time, I'll puke. Theory was good though and the author can write, I'll give her that. Very little over explaining (a couple of times) and telling, but not enough to distract. Of course, the requisite they as a single character (so dumb). Cut about 100 pages out of this 600+ page book and it would have been the perfect length.


A Cold Red Sunrise, however, another great Rostnikov detective story by Stuart Kaminsky. This is #5 for me. And thankfully I've got plenty more to read! This time our detective finds himself in Siberia. At first I thought the author wrote Tyumensk, where I went in 2010; alas, no, it was Tumsk. Our weight-lifting barrel of a man solves the crime in 2, 2 1/2 days. In expert fashion. Kaminsky really knows the Russian soul, which says a lot. His Russians (pretty much all his characters) are the same Russians I lived with for five years. Not only that, he knows Russia. Every description he writes is exactly Russia. Simply wonderful.


Now I'm reading a couple books. I'm still reading Revelation Space stories in order, just finished "A Spy in Europa" and am reading now "Weather." Also reading Cursed Bunny which is so good so far (about half done). Still reading Esperanto and Languages of Internationalism in Revolutionary Russia

Language-wise, a couple months into Hoch's Middle Egyptian Grammar. Early days still, but we're already dealing with present and past and pronoun suffixes. Only on chapter 3. Such a fun language, and the Collier & Manley course I did last year certainly is helping me on Hoch. And the next Esperanto Sumoo is coming up, still trying to decide which Esperanto book I'm going to read for that. Maybe Bluaj neĝoj?  Maybe Maskerado ĉirkaŭ la morto?

Still reading Russian articles when I can, mostly at work. Lots of Prigozhin articles lately. Hmm...I wonder why?  ))  



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Desolation Called Peace, by Arkady Martine

 Read the second of the Teixcalaanli books by Arkady Martine, nom d' plume of AnnaLinden Weller, a history professor. Her first was A Me...