Saturday, August 19, 2023

Revelation Space

 Years back I read novels in the wonderfully detailed Revelation Space world, by Alastair Reynolds. I think I read 3 or 4 novels set in that world. Been wanting good sci-fi recently so thought I'd re-read these books, but first looked up how many stories he'd written in Revelation Space. 

Turns out: a lot. Many short stories are set in this world. In fact, the novel Revelation Space doesn't show up in the chronological list until spot 18 (only 3 of the 17 previous are full-out novels). There are 22 total products in this world. I'd only read 5 of the books until I decided to start reading in chrono order. 

So I just finished "Galactic North," a short story spanning over 40,000 years of galactic history (!!!). But Conjoiners and Inhibitors and Demarchists all feature. Prior to this story, I read the two novellas "Great Wall of Mars" and "Glacial." Next up is "Night Passage," but for that, I had to put a hold on a library book (Infinite Stars) in which the story features. After that, I'm back to the short story compilation Galactic North which I already own. 

It was this or the Pandora Sequence again. That's my favorite Frank Herbert. (I know: sacrilege.) 

So this is what I'll be reading for a while. Who knows how far I'll go; we'll see after "Night Passage!"



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Desolation Called Peace, by Arkady Martine

 Read the second of the Teixcalaanli books by Arkady Martine, nom d' plume of AnnaLinden Weller, a history professor. Her first was A Me...