Saturday, December 10, 2022

Orlando, by Virginia Woolf

 So let's talk Orlando. 

I had first seen the movie, many years ago. Probably only a year or so after it came out in 1992. I'm a big fan of Tilda Swinton. She's an incredible actress, and beautiful. 

Spoilers hence.

When I saw this movie I was surprised. I'd never expected a movie about a sex changing immortal. I don't remember much about the movie now, but will rewatch it.

But the writing: glorious! So well done. I was struck by Ms. Woolf's descriptions, and her playing with time. She never explicitly told the reader what year we were in, which I appreciated. The entire section where Orlando gave birth was so incredibly described. We aren't even properly introduced to the child, but it's there nonetheless. (IIRC, we see the kid in the movie.)

Spoilers done.

This is the 9th classic I've read this year from my list of 50 classics to read over 5 years. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...