Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Magical Realism

 Wife and I have been talking about Magical Realism, as my recent choice for the family book club was Woolf's Orlando. A wonderful example of magical realism. 

Found somewhere else, magical realism should be set in the real world, have supernatural things happening (not explained), and literary elements. Orlando of course, but what other novels out there? Especially, prior to Woolf? Certainly I can point to Midnight's Children and Satanic Verses by Rushdie, Ballad of Black Tom and The Changeling by LaValle, Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Bradbury. But what about novels before 1928? (I'm not literate with poetry, but "The Goblin Market" by Christina Rossetti and "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came" by Robert Browning could be called magical realism, yes?)

You know what's hard to find? A list on the internet of magical realism novels prior to 1928. I just spent over 20 minutes searching but can only find lists of current or recent magical realism novels. But dear reader(s) do know I love lists. So from the lists I have found, I've got some new books on my TBR shelf: 

  • The House of Spirits, by Allende
  • Kafka on the Shore, by Murakami
  • The Salt Roads, by Hopkinson
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, by Schwab.
  • The Tatar Steppe, by Buzzati. When I was studying Italian, the great literary critic, Andrei, recommended Buzzati's short stories, one of which I attempted (but wasn't ready for).
  • The Girl with Glass Feet, by Shaw.
  • Sharks in the Time of Saviors, by Strong Washburn. 
And there's probably more. But that's the initial list, and wow, some of them sound great. (Scientifically, at least two of those have to suck. Probability, science. Proven.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...