Saturday, April 16, 2022

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, by Kurt Vonnegut

 Another great Vonnegut book. And quick. Kindle said 290 pages, but I'm sure those pages are filled with large fonts. I read this in less than 24 hours. It was good.

Like any other Vonnegut book (granted, this is only the third of his I've read), it got weird. Weirdness started at 40%. 

Spoilers follow:

But when the reincarnation-talk began, I thought: oh here we go. But then it didn't go there. I seriously thought the soul that finally wanted to be born again after being killed as a witch (despite being a legit midwife) would be reappearing in the book as the kid of the main character, sad, dull Eliot. But s/he never showed back up. Frankly, the ending seemed a cop-out. Too simple. One check written and all solved? I wanted more from Mr. Mushari. 

Spoilers complete.

I still liked this book. 4 stars. His writing is just so good. And his using the theme of Player Piano in this book, as well as the planet from Slaughterhouse-5, Trafalmadore. I like how he incorporates his other books in his stories. And some other characters. Looking forward to reading next in the suggested order, The Sirens of Titan



No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...