Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury

 Loved this book. Thought for sure I'd read this before, but I think what actually happened in my brain was that I recalled parts of the movie. This book is quite the fun dystopia. 

Spoilers follow:

If you don't know about this book, or what it's about, then I can't help you. How have you gotten through life without knowing about the change of definition for fireman? I mean, really?! 

For when it was written (1953), it's not as bad as others. Bradbury does not develop his female characters very well (like Asimov, Heinlein), but some personality squeaks out of Mildred near the end. But other than that, his vision of the future at least is farther away from just 1950s culture than most books written about that time (or for instance, original Star Trek with respect to what female characters wore), with his very, very wide highways, super-fast cars and planes, airpods for God's sake! And let's not pass on this scarily prescient or kismetic line:

We started and won two Atomic wars since 2022...

Holy crap, that freaked me out. Stupid Putin.  

Spoilers done. 

Read this one in audio, and I gotta admit, Tim Robbins did a great job. I love(d) him as an actor, until several years ago he got all political. Granted, he's been quiet the last few years, thank goodness, so props to him there. I got this from the library for free, so thought: oh well, I'll try to forget who's reading it. I was so wrong. He did great voices (his Beatty and Mildred were awesome). 100% recommend his reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...