Tuesday, December 28, 2021

All Systems Red, by Martha Wells

 All Systems Red is the first Murderbot story by Wells. I'd never heard of her before, probably because (checks her bibliography) she mostly writes fantasy. 

Seeing how it is part of "The Murderbot Diaries" I shouldn't have been surprised that it was first person POV, but I was. So much modern fiction is 1POV these days. What's up with that? It was so nice reading the last Expanse novel, 3POV. Awesome. 

This book is very creative. From the Murderbot's perspective (of course). I like the world building too. (I'm being purposefully vague because I'd like you, dear reader(s), to grab this book.) 

The true test of a good book, in my eyes is: Do I want to read more stories of this character? Whether or not the author has written the book as a stand alone story or part of a greater story, if I want to read more, then the book is good. (Oh how I would have loved to read more "cases" for Eco's William of Baskerville to solve!) Alas, il signore Umberto did not write another medieval monk mystery. But I have read The Name of the Rose three times. 

No, I am not saying the Murderbot Diaries book 1 is akin to Eco's masterpiece. But it does fit my description of a good book. Onward to Artificial Condition!



No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...