Saturday, November 6, 2021

Wuthering Heights

 OK, so finally finished Wuthering Heights, Ms. Jay. Started in 12th grade in 1984 and never finished. Unless you count Cliff's Notes. 

I'm not sure how much I like this book. As I said in my quick GR's review, were 18th century peoples' constitutions so poor that they could drop off after a loud argument? And my goodness, what kind of romance is this? Horrible. 

But the writing. Oh so sweet. I listened to about half of it, for free! (thanks Audible) and read the rest. But amazing how much different this is to Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. The writing, just as good. The story, so much better. I know, I know, decades separate the two. We'll see how much I like this era of writing when I read another from her or her contemporaries. 

This is the first of the 50 classics I endeavor to read over the next five years, based on the list I created for the Classics Club


No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...