Saturday, November 27, 2021

Phantoms

 Just finished Phantoms, my wife's pick for the family club. This is my first Dean Koontz. Not sure I'll read another. Nothing wrong with the author. I'm just not that in to horror. 


Spoilers may follow: There's a movie for this book. As I recall it had Peter O'Toole in it? I didn't want to look it up for fear that I'd remember about it and ruin the book. I don't remember it as the book has it, devil or demon, viscous liquid, what have you. And the characters. The whole other story line with the baby killer and motorcycle gang. They probably edited that out for the movie. Once my wife is done with the book she'll want to watch the movie. I predict she will be less than satisfied. Spoilers done.

But Phantoms was a much better pick than mine, Maynard's House. Phantoms was pure horror whereas my choice was more of a haunting. (And not haunting enough for my taste.) I'd read another haunting. Horror, though? Swan Song and The Stand were both great and I think are considered horror. But I'm good reading one every few years. 

Now what to read? I've still got the short stories I need to read from #ccspin #28. I've also been looking at BUtterfield 8 on my bookshelf. It's kinda been calling me. Language-wise, I found my three linguistics books in Russian and will pick one of them to read. My linguistics subject vocab is pretty good in Russian, so I feel whichever one I choose, I'll read it quickly. Still in my slow lead-up to Russian study for my language tests in early February. 



 







No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...