Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Some year-long reads

Unlisted in my Current Reads section of Goodreads are the books that I spend an inordinate amount of time reading. Like, a year or more. What does this mean? Let me explain. 

Last year in my Goodreads I marked as Read the book The Intellectual Devotional by Kidder & Oppenheim. If you don't know these books, they are styled on the religious daily devotionals. These Intellectual ones cover a different topic for an entire year. Or at least, 52 weeks. I finished the first one last year and about a month later I started The Intellectual Devotional: American History. (I'm now on week 19.) I won't be done with that one until early next year, thus I don't list it in my Current Reads. But when I finish next year, I will be sure to list the inclusive dates. 

Another book I'll be reading for a year or more is Thomas Lambdin's Introduction to Sahidic Coptic. I'm taking a student-led course at Glyphstudy on the language, and currently it is scheduled to take three years to complete the 30 lessons. Well, I won't promise to stick with it for three years, but I'm about 12 weeks into it now (and we're finishing lesson 3 this week...very slow!), which beats the last Glyphstudy course I started in Middle Egyptian two years ago! Anyway, I'll not put the book in my Current Reads list until I'm either close to done or close to stopping the course. 

Some folks this year have begun a chapter-a-day mission to read War and Peace. Some English translations of the book have 361 chapters, so perfect for one chapter a day. Here in a couple of weeks I'll be starting the book, aiming for two chapters a day. Again, I probably won't list it in my Current Reads until I'm close to done. FWIW, I began the book back in 2000 and got about halfway, but lost interest. I hope to finish it this time. Having been a Russian linguist and lover of (some) Russian lit, I really need to read this book. Maybe sometime later I'll read it one chapter a day but in the original Russian? 

Speaking of the chapter a day idea, I'm considering reading a Dickens in the future (after W&P) along those lines. I'm interested in The Pickwick Papers or maybe David Copperfield. There's lots of chapters in those books, so maybe that'll be a future book project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...