Monday, July 13, 2020

War Stories (and Language)

I have an interest in languages, as dear reader(s) know, but a subject some readers may not know that I love is: war. 

Well, I don't love war. But I love the intersection of war and language. Years ago I discovered the website Languages and the First World War, and on that website, a post about Esperanto and the First World War. The post is a must read if you have interest in the International Language and its use during the Great War.

The post's author was also the author of a great book entitled Antaŭ unu jarcento. Esperanto kaj la granda milito. I ended up ordering the book and reading it and Wow. So great. (I must note the website hasn't had anything new since mid-April. I hope the authors are okay and will be back soon!) As part of my love for this combined subject, I'm always on the look-out for books. Thus my awesome find months ago of the Vade-Mecum for the use of officers and interpreters in the present campaign: French and English technical and military terms. Didn't even pay too much. 

I could go on about my love of military and language topics. But the real point of today's post is: How the hell did I not know about the site Militrakonto: Literaturo kaj rakontoj pri la dua mondmilito (War-Story: Literature and stories about the Second World War)? My goodness, they've been around at least a year. And I'm just now finding it? And one of the first posts I read is about an Esperanto translation of a crime novel (spy novel?) called The Moment of Truth and, yes, it concerns Soviet soldiers. Another area of interest for me. Suffice it to say, I'll be subscribing to Militrakonto's newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...