Sunday, July 12, 2020

Esperanto Sumoo starts today

I've been doing the Esperanto Sumoo religiously for a few years now. What, perchance, is an Esperanto Sumoo? Well, dear reader(s), let me tell you.

Six times a year, we Sumoistoj (those taking part in the Sumoo) commit to a set number of pages to read in an Esperanto book over a 15-day period. When I started years ago I'd read 3-5 pages a day. As my Esperanto has gotten better, I've increased the page count. When I started I rarely finished the book I committed to (not a requirement). For the last year or so, I've managed to start and finish a complete book during each Sumoo.

Why Sumoo? Well, you'll have to ask the founder and organizer. He's Japanese, so maybe that's why? 

I decided for the July 2020 Sumoo to read Karel Čapek's R.U.R. I'd heard about this book years ago. Thankfully, it's really old and available free in Esperanto from eLibro. 

Some words I learned in my reading today:

epruveto: test (?? I wonder if this was a typo?)
meduzo: jellyfish
lumbriko: earthworm
finfuŝi: to end up messing up
teksi: to weave
adicii: to add
sindona: devoted, generous
krevi: to crack
fasono: fashion ("Darling, you need a new fashion!")
lanugo: down, fluff
trompi: to deceive
hepato: liver (duh! Makes sense)

I'm about 24 pages in and it's 160-something pages total, so on track to finish the book before the 26th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...