Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Coptic lesson one, but week three

This week in the Coptic course we have to turn in the first 10 questions for lesson one. So far, I think, so good.

ϩⲓ ⲧⲉϩⲓⲏ  on the road
ϩⲓ ⲡⲧⲟⲟⲩ  on the mountain
ϩⲛ̅ ⲧⲉϩⲓⲏ  in the path
ϩⲙ̅ ⲡⲏⲓ  in the house, etc.

I'll turn my answers in in a few days; they're due Sunday and I want to review them and actually re-do them a couple times between now and then.

The course is going to be loooong, with 3-4 weeks per lesson for 30 lessons, with some breaks I think every 5 lessons. But it will be fun to be able to speak/read the last vestiges of the ancient Egyptian language.

Someone in the Glyphstudy group shared a Youtuber who speaks Coptic, so I listened to it last night. Sounds very cool, and different from how I'd been imagining it, based on the Lambdin text's explanation of the sounds. Always helpful to hear what the language you're studying sounds like!

3 comments:

  1. The linguist in me has so many questions. The first to come to minds are SVO, VSO or other? Also, what sort of morphology? Simpler way to put this. What would the closest mainstream language, if any, does it come closest to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not even that far into the course to know yet what the syntax is. Click on the Youtube link. The language sounds beautiful. It's Afro-Asiatic, in its own branch. I'll know more in a few months.

      Delete
  2. And thanks for being my first comment, DN3!

    ReplyDelete

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...