Sunday, June 2, 2024

May 2024

 Books read:

  • The Small Bachelor, by PG Wodehouse. Another great one from the Master. Story of love, as they always are, this time in NYC. FB Wodehouse group's May read.
  • Rosemary's Baby, by Ira Levin. Had to read this after the other one by him below. This one was so good. Wife and I watched the movie right after and holy crap it was so good and pretty much word-for-word from the book. Ruth Gordon deserved the Oscar 100%!
  • The Housekeeper and The Professor, by Yoko Ogawa. My one translation this month. Perhaps this year! (Unusual for me; I'll have to go back and check.)
  • The Boys from Brazil, by Levin. As discussed in my post, excellent. As was the movie. 
  • Ill Met by Moonlight, by W. Stanley Moss. Great story of a little-known op during WWII. 
  • Love's Labour's Lost, by Shakespeare. Timeless.
  • A Desolation Called Peace, by Arkady Martine. Good follow up to the first. 
Books bought: 
  • The Small Bachelor, by Wodehouse. In the Collector's Wodehouse hardback. Add it to my list.
  • Language City: The Fight to Preserve Endangered Mother Tongues in New York, by Ross Perlin. NYC has more languages spoken in one area than anywhere else in the world. The Endangered Language Alliance are working to document all of them before they die off. Perlin is one of the co-directors of the only organization I'd work for in NYC. 
  • The Year of the Flood, by Margaret Atwood. Read the first of the MadAdaam years ago. This one came up for two bucks, so had to.
  • The Boys from Brazil, by Levin. For the family book club. Excellent!
Language-wise in May continuing on my Old English journey. Finished through chapter 6 and only today started chapter 7. Nice and slow so I can digest it all. Already reading some wonderful works in the original, like "The Seafarer," from which I have the lines of my next tattoo, if I ever get it:

hu ic, werig, oft in brimlade bidan sceolde

Rough translation: How I, weary, often have had to endure in the sea-roads. Or something like that. Figured that part of the poem is appropriate for my preferred extracurricular activity.

Also finished the June 2023 issue (yes, I'm behind) of Literatura Foiro (Literary Fair). Great little magazine with many articles on Esperanto culture: literature, film, gatherings, language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Language City, by Ross Perlin

  Language City: The Fight to Preserve Endangered Mother Tongues , by Ross Perlin. In general, this is a good book. I really mean that. The ...