Monday, March 25, 2024

So many books...

 ...and even a language!

Good Lord I've read so much since last posting! Will post in less than a week my "March 2024" post so this'll be free verse!

The Spire, oh so much hubris. Tower of Babel much? Haven't read any Golding since 8th grade (or so) and Lord of the Flies. This one, well written and scary. Blindness takes me to three Saramagos. Love this guy's style. Had to watch the movie after, which wasn't half bad. Dune Messiah came about due to watching part II of the new Dune movie and presuming what's next. Half the size and still pretty good. Very political. Uncle Dynamite was a PG Wodehouse Reading Club (on FB) monthly a few months ago and I'm just now getting to it. Guess what? Hijinx! The Great Santini is my BIL's favorite book, which is obvious if you know my BIL (is he the son or Santini? I'll have to ask him). After reading Conroy's The Lords of Discipline I wonder if this one is also (semi)autobiographical. Eaters of the Dead I avoided decades ago. Not my kind of Crichton. But the movie is so damn good! Then I found this book in a little library where I was placing my wife's excellent book (Children of Cain. How do you not know this, dear readers?). And it was a first edition hardback with dj! Score! Great, fast read. Well done. The Roman Empire: A Very Short Introduction came next, Audible and quite good. I learn from every book on the classical world I read because the authors always concentrate on different aspects. Finally, I needed to read more Porfiry Rostnikov. This time The Man Who Walked Like a Bear. So very good and only 200-ish pages (finished at 80% on my Kindle which always shocks me even though they always have a long intro to the next book at the end. Why don't I ever remember?).

Currently I'm reading The Doctor is Sick. I needed another Anthony Burgess. So far so great. And I'm listening to The New World on Mars, by Zubrin. Been following him (and reading him) for years now. This is his latest. Preaching to the choir, but great ideas in here. You listening, Elon?

And yes! I'm studying a language again (besides constantly reading in Esperanto). I'm going through Complete Old English with a buddy of mine who a) only studies dead languages and 2) is already quite good at OE. I figure with someone else going through it with me I'll be forced to keep it up (as opposed to my latest attempt at Middle Egyptian).

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...