Friday, December 1, 2023

American Psycho, by Bret Easton Ellis

 OK, this book. Ugh.

Spoilers!

Pat Bateman is a psycho. Really disgusting. 

But the book doesn't start that way. It starts interestingly. He knows fashion. He's constantly commenting on what people are wearing, and specifying exactly "who" they're wearing. And Ellis is very detailed about this.

Also, the album reviews. The first one, I can't remember which album (not Huey Lewis...Whitney?), was so detailed and perfect that I thought that maybe the author just copied an album review from Rolling Stones. Pat Bateman did three, IIRC, during this book. All well written. 

The restaurants. So many. And the meals they ordered. I really wonder a few things: Are the restaurants real? Are the meals real? Some of them sounded so damn good. 

Then the murders began. About halfway. A bit past that, I started to wonder if Bateman actually did kill some of the many victims. By the end, I was really unsure.

But let's talk the writing about the murders. F^cking disgusting. I skipped lots of it, pushing the +30 sec button a lot, like during the sex scenes in Fourth Wing

I didn't like the book at all (like Lolita) until I listened to the 15-min audio interview at the end of the Audible. Ellis was very interesting. He admitted that he never confirmed if Bateman actually killed all those people or not. 

Spoilers complete!

But that was the last 3 minutes of the interview. In the first 12 minutes I learned that Ellis wrote Less Than Zero, one of my favorite movies in my late-teens/early 20s. And he wrote it when he was 19! After publishing two other novels! Holy crap.



No comments:

Post a Comment

April 2024

 Another month flew by. I'm kinda peopled-out. Books read: The Doctor is Sick , by Anthony Burgess. One of his best. What a screwed up d...