Sunday, August 13, 2023

Some recent reads

 Squiggly Lines, by Mark Lattanzi. Good refresher book on orienteering, which goes into depth on adventure racing and rogaine. Been wanting to get back into orienteering (did a few in Boston some years ago) and needed to remind myself how to do it. While searching for a book different from the oft-read-yet-still-awesome Be Expert with Map and Compass (Kjellstrom), I came across this one. The author also manages a rogaine in Virginia. w00t! So I bought his book and, after making sure our daughter can watch the dog Labor Day weekend, signed myself and my wife up for The Search for Big Mack. This book will help; hell, it already helped as today we went to Quantico Orienteering Club's Intro to Orienteering, where I got reminded yet again how to O. 

Snowblind, by Ragnar Jonasson. Number 1 of Dark Iceland (sounds so evil). Ok detective-type mystery. Someone's murdered (or is he?) and someone else is attempted-murdered (or is she?). My pick for the family book club and counts towards my 10+ translated books I intend on reading in 2023. (This one is #6.) Very atmospheric. Makes me want to visit Iceland. Not sure I'll read any others in the Dark Iceland series.

A Memory Called Empire, by Arkady Martine. Great space opera with a well thought-out world. Memories of the dip circuit (mine) and Embassytown (Mieville's). Got this on Kindle Unlimited, hurray! and will probably read more in the Teixcalaan series. Looking Martine up now it doesn't surprise me she is/was a history professor. This book read so much like a classical history, perhaps Aztec or Mayan, maybe Greek or Byzantine. Well done, Doc!

How it Unfolds, by James S. A. Corey. Very short novella, 38 pages I believe. Great story and idea. Sadly counts as a book on Goodreads, but I'm on track to read more than 80 this year so no biggie. Anyway, there's more in this series, The Far Reaches. Not too sure if they're all in the same "world" or not. And not sure I want to see as I don't want anything to be given away. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...