Thursday, March 23, 2023

Some recent reads

 I am still reading. Don't worry, dear reader(s). Just been busy at work and home. (New windows!)

Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive, by William Gibson. The first one was chosen by my SIL for our family book club. I'd read it maybe 20-25 years ago. Loved it. Gibson of course was the inventor of the word cyberspace and boy could he ever create a world. I just had to read the following two of The Sprawl trilogy. The third one in particular is nicely done, wrapping up some questions I had after the second. (This is a lot of Gibson as I'd just finished Agency [The Peripheral #2] right before she picked Neuromancer.) 

McGraw-Hill Education Handbook of English Grammar & Usage, by Mark Lester & Larry Beason. Book for my copyediting class, first class of a 4-class certification. Very handy book, and much lighter than CMOS 17th edition! Don't have much more to say about this book. I used the third edition, which has a wonderful chapter near the back on eggcorns. If you have never heard this word, here are some examples: Your point is mute (vice moot). I watched her last night lip-singing (vice lip syncing). I gave my kids free reign (vice rein).

The Rosetta Stone, by Robert Sole. A Folio Society volume which I found in our local used bookstore for only $13. In perfect condition with the slipcase. Great history of the actual decipherment. My only complaint about this book is that in the entirety of this book there is not one picture of the Stone or is there a copy of the actual Greek, Hieratic, or hieroglyphs on the Rosetta Stone!

So there you go. At 15 books read for the year so far. Currently listening on Audible to Norman Mailer's The Naked and the Dead (25 hours) and reading Viktimoj by Julio Baghy, a novel about POWs in a Russian POW camp, some of whose only common language is Esperanto. (This is semi-autobiographical as the author was in this very situation.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...