Thursday, December 22, 2022

The Fellowship of the Ring, by Tolkien

 What can be said that hasn't already been said about the first volume of the Lord of the Rings trilogy? We've all seen the movies, yes? I mean the Lord of the Rings movies, not that horror that is Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies. 

I won't have spoilers here. If you haven't seen the movies or read the books, look away. But I have to say that Jackson did a good job. He kept fairly close to the books. This first book is great. You don't have to have read The Hobbit to learn about hobbits or other races of Middle Earth. They're all here, and explained/described well in this first book. 

Tom Bombadil. I mean really. Why not in the movie? And his girlfriend, Goldberry. They were great. And the ponies the hobbits rode in on. Wonderful. 

I will read the next two, just not right away. I like Tolkien. I've read some others of his, but except for The Hobbit, they were not in the Middle Earth world: his Beowulf and The Fall of Arthur. Both were great. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...