Thursday, December 29, 2022

Books in Translation challenge complete!

 I committed to reading 10 books in translation in 2022, and just two days ago I finished my tenth translated book. 

  1. The Vikings (Danish)
  2. Uncertain Glory (Catalan)
  3. The Trial (German)
  4. The Double (Portuguese)
  5. Death with Interruptions (Portuguese)
  6. War Music (ancient Greek)
  7. Civil Wars (Latin)
  8. Three Novels (Russian)
  9. By Night in Chile (Spanish)
  10. Drive your Plow over the Bones of the Dead (Polish)
I'm not sure which book I liked the most. Uncertain Glory hit my pleasure centers, my love of war literature. The two Saramagos were just incredible. Never would have thought I'd like that weird stream of consciousness or stream of no paragraphs (or barely any). But his writing is just wonderful. War Music, though. This is the second time I read this book, this time in Audible version, which was simply amazing. The Tokarczuk, wow. Could The Books of Jacob be next for me?



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing the challenge! I heard a lot about Saramago for a while a few years ago. He's on my radar but I'm not sure about that writing style either. I may get brave and try it someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried Blindness a long time ago, shortly after the movie, and couldn't stand it. But then I got a good deal on The Double so thought I'd try it. The style turned out to be very readable, thus I read this Death one. Blindness shortly in my future.

      Delete

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...