Saturday, November 19, 2022

By Night in Chile, by Roberto Bolaño

 My first Bolaño. And very strange. Only two paragraphs in the entire 130 pages. And the second paragraph was one sentence long, and about 10 words. One of those stream of consciousness-type books. 

No spoilers on this one. There's a priest. He's recalling his interesting life. If I knew more about Allende and Pinochet and Chile, it might have meant more to me. Still, not knowing d!ck about Latin American history, it was still an interesting book. The writing was excellent. The translation was excellent. (Thank you Chris Andrews.) I'm new to the translation game, and having difficulty with simple turns of phrase, and this book was just constant thoughts and commas and more thoughts and et cetera. Really good job. 

Oh, and this is the ninth translated book I've read this year, so I'm one away from the "Linguist" level for the Books in Translation Challenge. w00t!



No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...