Saturday, July 23, 2022

Transcription, by Kate Atkinson

 Again, I must ask why I don't simply read everything by this woman, one after the other. This one was awesome. Got it on a Kindle deal ($3 I think) and it drew me in from page 1.

Spoilers below

Juliet works for MI5 during WWII. Does all kinds of fun things, as well as horrible things, witness or actor. Yes, in my wheelhouse: Between the wars and British. And like my previous Atkinson reads (A God in Ruins and Life After Life), jumping through time. Expertly. The ending. Phew. Unexpected. I won't even talk about it here with the spoiler warning, 'cause I want you all to experience the joy. 

Everything is here that you'd find in a JLC Smiley novel. The case officers, the officious work colleague, the secretly gay gentleman, the mata hari, peer offspring. Everything I love in a novel. Wonderful, wish it had been twice as long. 

Spoilers done.

I encourage everyone who likes well written novels with solid and well thought-out plots to read Atkinson. Start with Life after Life and immediately follow it up with A God in Ruins. Two of the best books I've read in the last 10 years, hands down.



No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...