Monday, April 25, 2022

Sirens of Titan, by Vonnegut

 His weirdest yet. Ok, yes, I've only read four of his, but, damn. How this author wasn't tagged immediately as a sci-fi author, I'll never know. 

Spoilers:

I'm following Rachel's suggested reading order. Glad I almost did it in order (I read SH5 first, that's 3rd in Rachel's list). Planet Tralfamadore shows up again in this gem. Even more interesting, an idea he expounded on in his short story "Harrison Bergeron" shows up here, 3 years prior to the publishing date of that short story. I'm of course talking about making everyone equal by making strong(er) people to wear weights. When I read about the bags of shot on one character's arms and legs, I thought: Wait a minute, I've read this before. 

Initially I thought it was from Ayn Rand's Anthem. Wrong. When I searched, Vonnegut came up. I should have known. 

I can't say I noticed any characters that were in the previous three novels I'd read, but I know he does that sort of thing. I also don't want to research it for fear that I'll learn something about future novels of his I'll read.

Spoilers done.

I love this man's books. Can't wait to read the next in the sequence, Cat's Cradle.



No comments:

Post a Comment

So many books...

 ...and even a language! Good Lord I've read so much since last posting! Will post in less than a week my "March 2024" post so...