Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Middle Egyptian

 Glyphstudy started a new iteration of their Collier and Manley study session of Middle Egyptian. 

For those dear reader(s) who haven't followed me for a while, Glyphstudy is a group of language lovers who are interested in the languages of ancient Egypt (or further abroad, in the case of Hittite). The group is led by advanced students who guide others through specific books covering Middle Egyptian and Coptic. Most of the courses follow a book, during which the students read a chapter for a couple weeks then do exercises for a couple of weeks. 

I started the Hoch course way back in 2018, but life got in the way and I had to drop. Last year I joined the Coptic group, and kept to it for 7-or so months until I dropped everything to work on my Russian (resulting in a first-ever 3/3 in the DLPT!). I also started the Hittite course last year, but it was concurrent with the Coptic and thus the Russian got in the way. 

Glyphstudy just started the Collier and Manley section yesterday. C&M is a simpler intro to Hieroglyphics than Hoch, and perhaps that means I'll be able to keep up. For the next two weeks we are tasked with reading/studying chapter one, after which we'll start working on the exercises. 

I think I can do this. I'm also going through Teach Yourself's Complete Old English, a great book which has allowed me to already read some bits of Beowulf in the original (which dear reader(s) will know is a goal of mine, using Heaney's bilingual edition). I'm going to try and keep C&M up even when I start on Russian hard for my DLPT in February. I might pause Old English for a bit while doing Russian (and Middle Egyptian), but we'll see. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

So many books...

 ...and even a language! Good Lord I've read so much since last posting! Will post in less than a week my "March 2024" post so...