Thursday, November 18, 2021

Kromosomoj, and an update

 Kromosomoj is going well. I'm a bit over half done. Very good Esperanto, very creative use of word building. 

Speaking of Esperanto, I'm still translating the book Medalionoj, on chapter 2. It's fun trying to find the right words. I've read a few books on translation in the past year or so, and looking to read some more. If I can find The Translation Studies Reader or The Craft of Translation, I'll read those soon. 

Language-wise, besides Esperanto, I'm working still on Middle Egyptian. Just submitted exercises 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6. We have to use a particular transliteration schema called Manuel de Codage. And we're doing adjectives now; they follow the noun btw.

nDr iqr: (an, the) excellent person

sxr iqr: (an, the) excellent plan

Those are just two examples.

I'm only reading two books currently, which is unusual when one of them is a foreign language. I can read two fiction books as long as one is not in English. And a non-fiction book, too. Now I'm reading Kromosomoj, already mentioned, and The Kaiser's Holocaust, about Germany horrible history in South West Africa (Namibia). 

But after?!?! This month is #GermanLitMonth (hosted by Lizzy and Caroline), where one reads a book or three from a German author. My German is only a 1+ (DLPT5, earlier this year), so there won't be any lesen auf Deutsch. But I did pick a book: The Swarm. So I could have gotten the book in Kindle form for 12 bucks. But then I looked for used, and found a copy for 4 bucks. Well, no debate!

And the book is huge. And hardback! 896 pages. EIGHT HUNDRED. No. Four more pages and it would be NINE HUNDRED PAGES. Ho. Lee. You-know-what. 

So looking forward to reading it next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...