Tuesday, August 11, 2020

The Dangerous Language

 An historian decades ago wrote an awesome book called The Dangerous Language. Ulrich Lins did research in German and Russian archives (along with some other nations in Eastern Europe and Asia) to discover how totalitarian regimes dealt with Esperanto and Esperanto speakers. Bottom line: not well.

The book was written in Esperanto and has been translated into, I think, a dozen languages now. It's also been revised in the last few years. I'll probably get a copy of that one and (re)read it. 

Lins is a great author in this subject area. Dear reader(s) of my blog know that I have interest in this area, along with Esperanto with respect to the two world wars. Thus the great books Antaŭ unu jarcento and Mi stelojn jungis al revado. Both great. But last year I found out that some Esperanto historians had put together an homage-book (festlibro or memorlibro in Esperanto) for Lins's 75th birthday. I had to get a copy, of course.

En la mondon venas nova lingvo [A new language comes into the world] is broken into four parts: I) The suspicious language, II) Life and actions of Esperantists, III) Traces from the historical processes, and IV) Ideas and practices on Esperanto and other interlanguages [conlangs]. I read the first part last year and picked the book back up this week to read part II. So many articles in this book's 700 pages. Many of them great. All of them fully referenced and peer reviewed. And of course, each one is leading me to more books and articles I need. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...