Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Dear Committee Members

 So last night I opened up (as much as an ebook can be opened) Dear Committee Members (DCM) by Julie Schumacher. And at 5am this morning I finished it!

I didn't even know of Ms. Schumacher. I subscribe to a weekly newsletter from the Folger Shakespeare Library (they publish the best paperbacks of the Bard's plays, btw). A couple weeks ago they mentioned their virtual book club would be covering The Shakespeare Requirement (TSR) by Ms. Schumacher on 6 September. 

Looking at TSR on Goodreads, some reviewers mentioned it being helpful to read DCM first, so I checked it out. Available on my neighborhood library's ebook collection. w00t! So I downloaded it. Ugh, first thing I noticed is it is epistolary. Not a big fan of those types of books. Put it aside. At 180 pages, figured I could read it quick as 6 September got closer.

Thus, I tried it last night. Read 87 pages right through. Didn't want to put it down but the Land of Nod called me. Woke up at 3am unable to sleep and thought, Why not? Two hours later I was finished.

Such a fun read! I am a big fan of what are called Oxford novels, those set in that famous British school. Lucky Jim, Decline and Fall, Porterhouse Blue, Pictures from an Institution. This one is not set in Oxford but in a small college in New England. No matter, hilarity ensues. I'm also a big fan of reading characters who have to deal with bureaucracy, and this book was full of it. 

Now I am ready for TSR. Can't wait to start it. And best of all: not a book of letters!

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...