Friday, May 22, 2020

Russian class complete; Russian study, not so much

I had to stop my Russian class prematurely, for professional reasons. More on that in a month or so.

But that doesn't mean I've stopped studying Russian. I'm continuing my L-R of Пробуждение Левиафана/Leviathan Wakes, by James SA Corey. I love this book, and the tv series (The Expanse). As is necessary for L-R study, I know the first book well. I've read it in English. I've listened while reading to it in Russian. Now I'm listening in Russian while reading in English. This is the first real step in L-R. And it is interesting.


It is difficult. Mostly because I read English faster than I "hear" Russian. So I have to stop myself from reading ahead. Additionally, the Russian audiobook doesn't necessarily jive always with the book. I've had complete sentences missing in the Russian. Also, weird translations. For instance, one of the characters, a detective (Miller, if you've read the book or watched the series), has been working for 30 years. But in the Russian translation, it is only 16 years. For those who don't know Russian: No, 16 and 30 don't sound similar in any way. No idea.

But other issues come up. And if I didn't know Russian as well, I'd wonder. Russian doesn't have to follow English syntax rules, so quite often I have to dart around a sentence in the eBook to find what the Russian audio is telling me. No issue. Again, my Russian isn't half bad (2+).

Theoretically, I'd listen to the Russian and read the English again two more times, but that's not gonna happen. On or about 1 June, I'll start my L-R Croatian experiment with Harry Potter. I'm about 30% done with the Expanse book now. Here's hoping I'll be completely done by 31 May!

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...