Thursday, May 14, 2020

And my current language project

I'm working on my Russian now. I originally had to take my language test by the end of May. So in March I got myself sked for a 4-hour per week one-on-one language class with a DLI instructor, set to end right around when I would take the DLPT.

Enter COVID. Now I don't have to DLPT. In fact, I can't. All testing sites I have access to are closed. No worries. I'll continue the Russian. Why not? How often does one get a chance for a class like this without having to pay for it?

I'm also L-R'ing the first Expanse book (Leviathan Wakes) by listening to it in Russian while reading it in English.

Next up, I'm going to try to bring my Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian back. At one point in time I had a 3/2+ on the DLPT IV in this language(s). I tried to revive it two years ago by going through some of my old textbooks and doing some 1/1+ GLOSS lessons, and then I excelled on the Reading DLPT5 with a whopping 0+. Whoops!

This time I'm going to try L-R, the right way. Before the end of this month I'll read the first Harry Potter (in English). Then in June, I'll read HP1 in BCS while listening to it in BCS. Then, when done with that, I'll read HP1 in English while listening in BCS.

But before that, I'll use DLI's Online Diagnostic Assessment to see what my BCS listening and reading scores are. After I go through HP1 three times (English, BCS-BCS, BCS-English), I'll take these assessments again and see how I do.

Oh, and meanwhile I'm doing a Coptic reading course with Glyphstudy. Much like my reading life, I can do a "dead" (reading-only) language while studying another language. This course is sked for three years long, so we'll see if I stick to it, but so far it is fun, and not burdensome to my Russian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...