Monday, January 22, 2024

Slow start

 Hello, dear reader(s). Slow start to the year for yours truly. 

Hyperion, by Dan Simmons, was my choice for the family book club. This book is our oldest's favorite book and I can see why. (No spoilers.) Basically, the Canterbury Tales, but hundreds of years in our future. It was great and I loved the ending. Will I read the second? Not sure (I've yet to read anything after Dune, doesn't mean I don't think it's a phenomenal book). I especially loved it since I listened to it, and they used different actors for all the parts. Great read listen.


Anglo-Saxon Attitudes, by Angus Wilson. This book has been on my Campus novels list for a while. Managed to convince some others on Goodreads in the NYRB discussion group to all read it and discuss it, starting in Feb. Great book. You know I love Brit lit and this one hits it. One GR reader suggested the reader would not be able to follow the book if they don't understand British culture. Not sure that's true. I don't understand sh!t about cricket, but I love and can follow every PG Wodehouse novel in which cricket plays a role. Read this, you'll love it. 


I also read my friend's second novel, he asked me to edit it as he knows that is one of my possible post-post-retirement jobs. His first is Proportional Response which was good. This one will be good too, but it's still raw. Looking forward to reading the final product. Good luck Tim!

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 2024

 Another month flew by. I'm kinda peopled-out. Books read: The Doctor is Sick , by Anthony Burgess. One of his best. What a screwed up d...