Friday, November 24, 2023

True Grit, by Charles Portis

 Great read! Been wanting to read this one for a while, finally picked by accident. 

You see, the wife chose American Psycho for the family book club. I found that book from Libby and downloaded it. Finished The Once and Future King then decided to start American Psycho. Unfortunately, the book was in Spanish. Nowhere in the picture or even the Libby description did it say anything about this audiobook being in Spanish. I needed something to listen to, and True Grit was in the immediate list, so picked it. Loved it.

Everyone has seen the movie (except, apparently, me) so no spoilers now. But great revenge book. The woman who read the book was pretty good, except that she'd often slurp some of her words, which got annoying after a while. But she did do the accent of an Arkansan very well. 

Rooster Cogburn and The Texan, LeBoeuf (I'm guessing on the spelling since I listened, not read), fun characters. Mattie Ross was great. I believe the actress who plays her in the original movie (John Wayne-version) was in one of my least favorite Star Trek: Original episodes (the one where the kids are in charge...bleck). Just checked IMDB, yep, Kim Darby. The best movie mom ever (Better Off Dead...brilliant). John Wayne wins his only Oscar from this movie. 

The book. So great. I really was sad at the end. Missed him by a couple days. Truly heartbreaking. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

April 2024

 Another month flew by. I'm kinda peopled-out. Books read: The Doctor is Sick , by Anthony Burgess. One of his best. What a screwed up d...