Monday, September 18, 2023

Latest reads

 The Stars My Destination, by Alfred Bester. This was my SIL's choice for family book club. From the '50s and obvious. Women lesser. Males the best. "The stars" barely even came up. Not as bad as some recent "classic" re-reads (I liked it better than any of the Heinlein I re-read recently), but still: won't be rereading this...ever.

The Ferryman, by Justin Cronin. Read this author's The Passage recently, which was a great take on vampirism. This one is pretty good. Imagine, if you will (spoilers hence), you are in a ship which will take hundreds of years to get to a planet you have targeted for landing. Well, what do you dream about in cryo-sleep? This book tackles this question. About 100 pages too long, but otherwise pretty good. 

The Prefect, by Alastair Reynolds. Continuing on my Revelation Space reading (chronological). I had read this many years ago, and barely remembered it, till certain areas came up. Really good, like all Reynolds (so far). Right after this, I read the next story in the sequence, "Open and Shut." This story is not published anywhere, but is available from the publisher here. Next up is Elysium Fire, which I read back in 2019. Reread it or just move on?


Started my wife's choice for the family book club, Thursday Murder Club. Good so far.

Middle Egyptian still on-going. Fun language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Desolation Called Peace, by Arkady Martine

 Read the second of the Teixcalaanli books by Arkady Martine, nom d' plume of AnnaLinden Weller, a history professor. Her first was A Me...