Sunday, April 30, 2023

April 2023

 Books read this month:

  • 2001: A Space Odyssey, by Arthur C. Clarke.
  • Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. Family book club choice. Better than I remembered.
  • Lone Women, by Victor LaValle. Holy crap do I love this author. This is my fourth of his. Will keep reading him.
  • A Fine Red Rain, by Stuart Kaminsky. Another great Porfiry Rostnikov. This time with the Moscow circus.
  • Mars, by Ben Bova. I thought he'd written this in the 1970s, due to the "Redman" comments. Who even said or cared about Native Americans or American Indian politics in the '80s or '90s? Imagine my surprise that it was written in 1992. 
  • The Songs of Distant Earth, by Clarke. As good as I remember. Why do I love colonization scifi stories so much? This is the Clarke I want Folio Society to publish.
Books bought this month:
  • Victory City, by Salmon Rushdie. Yes, yes, I hated his blaming-whitey crap in Quichotte. But damn, it's Rushdie. Everything else of his I've read is great. This for just $6.99. Had to try it. Fingers crossed!
  • Writings from Ancient Egypt, by Toby Wilkinson. Read his great The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt. This author is great. Also have one of his about the mania around Egypt in the early 1900s. Looking forward to reading both.
  • Sea of Tranquility, by Emily St. John Mandel. Loved her Shakespearean Station Eleven
  • Daingerfield Island, by John Wasowicz. Local author. My wife's choice for the family book club. Will read it in May.
  • Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe. Wife and I want hardback versions of great literature. Before "they" change the stories and words. 
  • Author! Author!, by P.G. Wodehouse. Looking forward to reading this.
  • The Postman, by David Brin. Read this years ago. Much better than the movie, which I still loved. This one signed by the author!
  • Empires of the Word, by Nicholas Ostler. Folio Society version. Love this book and this edition is awesome. A part in this book was the basis for my thesis question in grad school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 2024

 Another month flew by. I'm kinda peopled-out. Books read: The Doctor is Sick , by Anthony Burgess. One of his best. What a screwed up d...